Top 5 reasons why I love Shopify for my photography e-commerce website
UPDATE May 27, 2016
Last month I began the transition of moving my online photo galleries to PhotoDeck.com to handle my online sales. While I still love and recommend Shopify, my online photo gallery needs has evolved to the point where I plan on adding thousands of photos online and felt that Shopify would not scale very easily based on my needs.
I have been very pleased so far with my transition to PhotoDeck and can highly recommend them. If you are considering PhotoDeck for your online photo gallery needs, be sure to use coupon code “YG@UOEFQC” to save 50% off your first month’s subscription!
Original article published Feb. 28, 2015
I will probably do a more extensive review in the near future but for now here are the top 5 reasons why I love using Shopify.
Top 5 reasons why I love Shopify:
5) My online store is completely customizable. There are numerous free themes you can use to get your store up an running. In addition there is a large selection of paid themes to cater to your individual needs and extend functionality. After using a free theme for the first few weeks I ended up purchasing a theme that more closely matches my wordpress site that hosts my blog and workshop info.
4) Apps extend functionality. There is a great selection of apps – both free and paid – that extend the functionality of your online store. There are apps that create product widgets so you can embed your products into other sites, apps designed to help with sale items & promotions, apps that will sync your sales data with quickbooks, and many more possibilities.
3) Excellent customer support. Have a problem with your store? Support is there 24/7 via email, live chat, and via phone. I have had to call a couple times when setting up my store and my problems were handled right away.
2) Free card swiper for my iPad and iPhone. There is a free iOS app and card swiper you can get to accept credit card payments when out on the road. While I haven’t used it yet I look forward to testing it out when I hit the road selling at art festivals this summer to process transactions.
1) The number one reason why I love Shopify is that after the first 6 weeks I had more sales and made more money than at any time I was with Photoshelter, SmugMug, or Zenfolio – other popular e-commerce websites for photographers. While the other sites emphasize slideshows and image display, Shopify emphasizes sales and making the shopping cart easy and effective. And that alone is what I am after with my online photography business because if it is not making money then why have it online.
I only recommend products and services that I personally use myself in my business. Why not try Shopify yourself to see if it is right for yours? You can start a free trial or check out their plans by clicking on the link here or graphic below.
[grwebform url=”https://app.getresponse.com/view_webform_v2.js?u=BbnJ6&webforms_id=5968601″ css=”on” center=”off” center_margin=”200″/]
[grwebform url=”https://app.getresponse.com/view_webform_v2.js?u=BbnJ6&webforms_id=5968901″ css=”on” center=”off” center_margin=”200″/]